Benefits of a Feathering Propeller
We often get asked “what are the benefits of a feathering propeller?”
Well, if you spend more time sailing than motoring, or you enjoy the odd race, fitting a feathering propeller to your yacht is a worthwhile investment. Independent tests of our FeatherStream prop demonstrated that sailing hull speeds can be increased by as much as 15% compared with a fixed 3 blade propeller.
Combine that with the additional control you get at close-quarters under power and you have a winning combination.
Here are some more reasons why changing to a feathering prop this season could be a great move:-
- Darglow FeatherStream propellers require no operating system and fit directly to the existing shaft or saildrive leg
- A feathering prop will provide forward thrust similar to a fixed propeller and typically on par with a folding propeller when under sail
- The appropriate forward or reverse drive is automatically achieved when the engine is run ahead or astern.
- Additional control – in forward drive – near to fixed propeller performance, in reverse – greatly improved manoeuvring.
- The blades of a feathering propeller are designed to align themselves with the water flow and automatically feathers to give minimum drag
- Average sailing speed is often increased by 15%. The shaft remains stationary and there is no need for a shaft brake.
- The FeatherStream range can fit into restricted apertures. Normally if there is a space for a fixed propeller, you can fit a FeatherStream propeller.
- On virtually all feathering propellers it is possible to adjust the pitch, meaning you can fine tune engine loadings to suit your requirements.
- With a drag reducing propeller installed, your boat should point slightly higher and give you more performance under sail
- Darglow FeatherStream props are available in 2, 3, 4 and 5 blade configurations and are matched to your boat and engine installation. See the makes and models of yachts that Darglow have supplied drag reducing propellers to.
Fitting and Maintaining a Feather Propeller
FeatherStream propellers are manufactured to fit the existing shaft or saildrive leg and are delivered fully assembled and ready to go. They are as easy to fit as a normal propeller.
Maintaining your FeatherStream is quick and easy. Consider servicing your prop as part of your overall annual maintenance schedule. Once a year it needs to be topped up by injecting it with grease. The zinc anode protects the propeller from electrolysis and needs to be replaced as necessary.
View our blog on Servicing your feathering propeller.
Benefits of a feathering propeller by a Boatbuilding expert
See what one of the boat building experts at Practical Boating had to say about the benefits of a feathering propeller…
“I had a three-blade Volvo folding prop on the wing engine of a motor cruiser some years ago and this gave remarkable performance compared with the two-blade prop I previously had fitted.
“You’ll not lose enough motoring performance to worry about, but the increase in sailing performance will be noticeable and will also reduce wear on the gearbox if you currently let the prop freewheel when sailing. If you have a shaft brake then this will become redundant.
“There’s a fairly wide choice of folding and feathering propellers – the biggest difference being price – but I’d consider it money well spent.”
Buying a feathering propeller
If you are considering buying a feather propeller contact us for a chat – or call us on 01929 556 512 – we are always happy to discuss your yacht model and sailing habits and suggest the most appropriate configuration.